Oak Ridge Baptist Church. Submitted photo
Print This Story
Country churches decorated for tours Dec. 14 - 15

by Elane Moonier ~ Features Editor

Historic country churches throughout Southeast Missouri are inviting the public to come and experience the beauty of Christmas with them during the Country Church Tour on Thursday, Dec. 14 and Friday, Dec. 15.

All of the 30 church and two other venues will be open for tours from 2-9 p.m. both dates.

This is the 13th year for the Country Church Tour, which started with the grass roots movement of a Perry County Church. The event is free, and a free-will donation may be given at any church for its charity.

Trish Erzfeld, director of Tourism for Perry County, said that more churches have joined in over the past few years, and the tour is drawing visitors from all over the state.

This past week she was finalizing plans for the sixth tour bus group which will be coming to experience the churches. Some of the buses are coming from the St. Louis area, and there are many who are coming to spend the night in the area to visit all the sites.

Erzfeld noted that maps with the locations of the churches are available at the Perry County Chamber of Commerce and can be printed off online at www.perrycounty.com. She is also working to make maps available at each of the stops. “Everyone can design their own tour the way they want to create it,” she noted. “There is no set order to visit the churches. Your tour can begin anywhere you wish.”

Among the churches open for the tour is the First Baptist Church of Oak Ridge. The first Baptist sermon preached in Oak Ridge was in 1862, by Elder J. G. Rutter.

The organization of the Baptist Church was due largely to the labors of Bro. William Clippard, who donated two acres of land and to the help of friends of Christianity in the community.

Clippard was the leading force of the first church house, which was completed in 1862. The pews inside this country church, installed in 1908, are still in use today.

Crossroads United Methodist Church at Crossroads was organized in 1852, when the Rev. R.R. Witton held a revival meeting at Alliance. The meeting was such a success that two Bible study classes, one Presbyterian and the other Methodist Episcopalian, decided to join forces and organize a church.

To accommodate the travel needs of both, a decision was made to locate the church at a place nearest the center of both. That place was Crossroads. In 1871, oxen began dragging in logs to begin construction on what is now Crossroads United Methodist Church.

The Brazeau Presbyterian Church was built in 1851 and was constructed by some of the earliest Perry County settlers. There are engravings in the choir loft which were made by slaves who attended church services there. The plaid patterns and handmade tartan ornaments that adorn the Christmas tree reflect the Scotch-Irish heritage of the settlers.

Trinity Lutheran Church in Friedheim has a long history. The first German Lutheran immigrants to the area around Friedheim gathered in each other’s homes for Sunday worship. As early as 1843, the sacraments were provided once a month by Pastor Theodore Gruber of Paitzdorf when weather permitted.

The first church, a log cabin, was built in 1848, on the present church property. In 1849, a log cabin was built to serve as a Lutheran school.

In 1856, a new permanent church building was constructed at a cost of $500. The building was made using local sandstone rock. The large stones were hauled a quarter of a mile by oxen to the church site.

The cornerstone for the present church was laid on May 6, 1857. The church was remodeled in 1948, for its 100th anniversary.

Grace Lutheran Church at Uniontown was organized in 1874, when plans were made to build a new church at an estimated cost of $5,000, but that cost was exceeded by another $1,000.

Plans called for a building 55 feet long, 34 feet wide and 20 feet tall, with a tower and steeple of 75 feet. Clay for the bricks was dug and fired nearby. The Young Mens Club contributed to the purchase of the bell for the steeple.

The church was dedicated on Jan. 9, 1876. From the beginning, services were conducted in German, then in 1927, English services were conducted once a month.

Bethlehem Baptist Church at Crosstown was settled in the 1840s, as a farming community, but it never had a name until a post office was established, which was reportedly named for its crossroads location. The church is full of holiday cheer and down-home hospitality.

Our Lady of Victory Catholic Church in Sereno will be serving a cup of soup in the parish hall for visitors this year.

The Lutheran Heritage Center & Museum in Altenburg will have more than 50 decorated Christmas trees on display this year, and many of them detail the history of East Perry County. The Center will be open beginning at 10 a.m., both days.

The Saxon Lutheran Memorial at Frohna will host a free live drive-thru nativity scene again this year, with refreshments available. The gift shop will also be open during the tour.

Churches participating in the Country Church Tour include: St. Mary’s of the Barrens Catholic Church, Association of the Miraculous Medal, 1811 W. St. Joseph St., Perryville; Hill of Peace Friedenberg Lutheran Chu-rch, 510 PCR 304, Frieden-berg; Zion Lutheran Church, 6483 St. Hwy. 61, Longtown; Grace Lutheran Church, 53 Grace Lane, Uniontown; St. Joseph Catholic Church, St. Joseph Lane, Apple Creek; St. Maurus Catholic Church, 10198 Hwy. B, Biehle; Trinity Lutheran Church, 3700 CR 415, Friedheim; New Salem Methodist Church, Highway AA, Daisy, .5 miles west of Hwy. B; First Baptist Church of Oak Ridge, 4154 St. Hwy. E, Oak Ridge; Sargent’s Chapel Lutheran Church, near Sedgewickville, Hwy. B to Hwy. AA to CR 266 to CR 234; Caney Fork Baptist Church, 3580 CR 472, Oak Ridge off Hwy. B; St. John’s United Church of Christ, 781 State Hwy. FF, Fruitland; Pleasant Hill Presbyterian, CR 541, Fruitland; Apple Creek Presbyterian, junction of CR 530 and CR 543, Pocahontas, .8 miles east of Pocahontas; St. John’s Lutheran Church, 158 Little Street, Pocahontas; Zion Lutheran Church, 264 Main Street, Pocahontas; Saxon Lutheran Memorial, live nativity drive-thru, 296 Saxon Memorial Drive, Frohna; Immanuel Lutheran Church, 320 CR 516, New Wells; Lutheran Heritage Center & Log Cabin College, 75 Church St., Altenburg; Trinity Lutheran Church, 57 Church St., Altenburg; Immanuel Lutheran Church, 8234 Main St., Altenburg; Concordia Lutheran Church, 10172 Hwy. C., Frohna, Brazeau Presbyterian Church, Church Lane, Brazeau; Salem Lutheran Church, 287 PCR 328, Farrar; Bethlehem Baptist Church, 160 PCR 350, Crosstown; Zion United Methodist, 151 Zion Church Road, KK near Old Appleton; Pleasant Grove Baptist Church, 2888 PCR 314, near Crosstown; Crossroads United Methodist Church, off Hwy. KK, CR 200; White-water Presbyterian Church, 1 mile off Hwy. KK, CR 256; Our Lady of Victory Catholic Church, 172 PCR 920, Sereno; Zion Lutheran Church, 21202 Hwy. C, Crosstown; and St. James Catholic Church, 21694 Hwy. C, Crosstown.

Anyone seeking more information about the Country Church Tour can contact the Perryville Chamber of Commerce at 573-517-2069.
 
 

The Cash-Book Journal       P.O.Box 369       210 W. Main        Jackson, MO 63755       Phone: 573-243-3515       Fax: 573-243-3517